Sunday, May 13, 2012

MAGO-VISTA BEACH


In the days before air-conditioning, Mago-Vista Beach in Arnold, MD was one of our summertime getaways. My mother would pack us into the car with a picnic lunch and a one or two additional children from the neighborhood and off we’d go. I don’t remember if we wore our bathing suits or changed when we arrived.  The  friendly, family beach was  pleasantly sandy.  I loved the big silver raft that was anchored not too far from shore. We could wade out to it and jump off into the warm water. There was a dance pavilion that the grown ups used for night time dances. According to a web site devoted to Mago-Vista Mr. Benson began building the resort  on the Magothy River  in 1938. There was an amusement park  and houses to rent. How I wish I could recall seeing that. The image here is from my collection of Maryland ephemera. While I don't remember canoes, I do love the bathing suit on our paddler. Some have told me that the Mago-Vista of our youth is long gone and now, but of course, condominiums have taken its place.


6 comments:

  1. I grew up near Mago Vista. I learned to swim there, jumped off the high dive and rode the roller coaster over the Magothy River! My friend and I spent a lot of time in the pavilion dancing to the jukebox during the day. We were only about 11-12 years old and were the only ones there during the day. It was a wonderful place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sitting in one of those condos right now. It is sad that there are so few public beaches in Maryland. I now live in California, and ALL beaches are public (except in military bases).

    Anyway many of the current owners, especially my dad remember the old Mago Vista and work to keep its history alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this posting, Charlene. This was my favorite family beach growing up. We lived on Dividing Creek Road, and I went to elementary school at Belvedere for a year before Folger McKinsey in Severna Park opened up. I remember my Dad diving from the high dive, and him teaching me to swim in the deeper water out near the floating sliding board (which was such fun!). My parents lived in that same house until 2013, and- yes, it's true that there seem to be absolutely no public beaches in AA Co. anymore. Those were the days! The fifties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magazine Vista was one of my favorite childhood memories in the late 50's and early 60's. I remember having picnics in the pavilion and watching the "big kids" dive from the high dive. My most vivid memory I have is of the poor gators in the little pen with coins all over them that people had thrown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up 6 houses away. My parents bought three of those rental cottages from the Johnsons. I worked there as my first job. I actually have one of the original post cards that's at the top of this page. What a great time in history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We went to Mago-Vista every June with our church. We always had a great time. Swimming, riding the rides, swinging and the rest. Smelling the french fries cooking I would run to my mom to get money to buy some. They were the best. Listening to and watching the older girls playing the jukebox and dancing. Watching the older kids diving off the high dive. Buying some ice cream at the end of our day. I would also buy my mom and grandmother small Chinese dragon vases. Two of which I still have. Those were very special times growing up.

    ReplyDelete