Sunday, February 28, 2016

SEWING COMPANIONS

As teenagers in the mid to late 1960s my girlfriends and I often sewed simple dresses for ourselves. We'd shop at  Hutzler's or Brager Gutman's  to select a pattern and then choose our fabric and accessories. One item I never was able to own was a colorful pin cushion that featured cheerful Asian children encircling its circumference. The thought of having their  playful company as I hand-sewed the hem of my latest creation was reassuring. But that idea always remained a dream. A few months ago I was visiting  Renninger's, one of my favorite haunts, when I discovered a dealer with all kinds of sewing paraphernalia. Among the spools of thread, tools, zippers, buttons and needles was the darling pin cushion I had always coveted. These days I no longer sew but paint instead. So naturally I had to do a little painting of my recently realized dream of owning these little sewing companions.
"Sewing Companions" oil on wood panel (6" x 6") 2016

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful painting, Charlene! And a great memory. It's these little things, and our reactions to them, that define who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful Charlene. There is something incredibly sweet and nostalgic about this painting.

    ReplyDelete